There are many auto parts that you can find in the market. You can follow specific guidelines to buy auto parts online or in an offline store. However, there’s an imminent need for you to learn about different categories for the same part – Genuine, OEM, and Aftermarket. So, without further ado, let’s learn more:
An OEM part is one created by the original holder of the contract. For example, it could be a company or an industry that has a contract with the brand to build these parts. Another example is how Samsung creates screens for Apple iPhones. So, Samsung is the OEM.
An original equipment manufacturer makes the part precisely according to the specifications and configurations of the said product. They are the most genuine and 100% original parts, but they are unavailable in the market.
- You can order OEM parts directly from the manufacturer.
- OEM parts cost the most (highest) of the three categories.
A genuine part is what the product manufacturer sells. These parts are just like OEM parts and closely resemble them. They match the quality, have the same configurations and more. However, they aren’t always 100% the same.
There could be a little compromise on the quality of the material, or some calibration difference. The reason for this is to prevent someone from reverse engineering a 100% OEM part.
However, this is not always true. Most genuine parts work 100% and barely have any difference, if at all, from the OEM parts. They are just made for the process of sales.
- Genuine parts have better availability as you don’t have to send the order to the manufacturer first.
- You can find genuine parts for off-the-shelf use in most places.
- They are cheaper than OEM in most cases but still hold a premium price.
Genuine parts are manufactured by the company with the contract to do so. Now, Aftermarket parts are entirely different, created by some other company. These companies don’t have the contract, or the permission (in some cases), to manufacture the part.
However, they have reverse-engineered the part and now offer a replica of it. Nobody can stop them from doing it as long as they have their brand name.
Aftermarket parts range in quality and price segment. You will have to browse nicely and find a credible aftermarket parts dealer if you want to use these.
- As aftermarket parts have varying quality and performance, you could find the ones that are more durable than even the OEM.
- However, the opposite is also true. You could find the ones that are weaker than the OEM parts.
- Aftermarket parts are primarily great for customisation or short-term (budget) replacements for the parts to get the job done.
Hopefully, this guide clears the difference between the three types of parts. You can go ahead and browse the car parts shop in Australia. Remember to take an expert friend or someone who knows the parts to find the best deals.